Re: Number of Columns in a Table & SQL Performance ?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:30:06 -0700

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First I have to ask myself, what (good) relational database design for
> an OLTP system would lead normalized tables having 200 columns.

There's a bit of information that should have been included in the
OP's question:

Is this a canned app, a legacy app (neither of which can likely be
changed) or an app under development (maybe can be changed).

If the app cannot be changed, there's not much point in considering
anything other than the content of the original question, at least for the
purposes of this thread.

To the OP: not enough information.

Please review: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I feel like I'm repeating myself here.