Not to use SCAN in 11gR2 RAC

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:59:22 -0700 (PDT)

We installed 11.2.0.1 RAC on a RHEL 5.3 two-node cluster successfully. It looks
like SCAN (Single Client Access Name) must be assigned during installation.

We have a company-wide OID to serve DB connection strings for thousands of
clients. Each entry has load_balance=yes. It works very well. We're OK with
continuing to use long strings (i.e. multiple address lines for each OID
entry). Therefore we don't think SCAN provides benefit for our environment. Can
anybody think of any risk or loss of benefit we haven't thought of? Is there
any way to completely bypass it, not even bothering our DNS admin to create an
entry (one or three A records)? If not during installation, can I stop the SCAN
listener and shutdown its network interface (if I can) and remove it from OCR?

Oracle says SCAN is optional unless you use policy-managed database in 11gR2.
But it actually becomes mandatory at the time of installation, and then it can
be optional afterward. Isn't that awkward?

Yong Huang