Not sure how to write this in sql

  • From: Chris Stephens <cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:51:43 -0500

We have a function  that loops through a table and grabs all rows
associated with a particular id and builds a string consisting of a
comma delimited, concatenate string of 1-3 rows of a column associated
with that id.

the function returns the string and that string is used to populate a
column in another table.

i believe this is possible in a single update statement but i can't
figure out how to right it. (as it is, it takes over an hour)

so:

table a
==============
id  col2
1    a
1    b
1    c

should populate table b like

table b
==============
id  col2
1   1,2,3

table a can have 0,1,2, or 3 rows associated with each id.

help?

ps.  I have lex's book on order so hopefully my sql skills will
continue to grow.

tia
chris
--