Re: Normalized Databases = Poor Performance?

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 21:47:32 +0200

The mention of "silver bullets" automatically rings for me this bell, a classic paper by the author of the no less classic "Mythical Man Month":

www.lips.utexas.edu/ee382c-15005/Readings/Readings1/05-Broo87.pdf

(a useful reference for meetings).

The only cases when I have ever seen denormalization improving performance was when the database was far from being normalized in the very first place (and yet it was a slippery slope; two wrongs don't make one right). Not to say that MVs are totally useless; but you should consider them as an ETL process of sort, mainly that you have two different problems at hand that happen to use what superficially looks like the same data, but are indeed different representations of reality.

HTH

Stéphane Faroult

Baumgartel, Paul wrote:

I don't know if it's still around, but at 2004 IOUG in Toronto, there was a presentation that discussed the benefits of normalization in general, and normalization beyond 3NF in particular, which included /better/ performance.
I regret that I didn't attend Hotsos this year, but I had just started a new job...
*Paul Baumgartel*
*CREDIT SUISSE*
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1