Re: Normalized Databases = Poor Performance?

  • From: "Gints Plivna" <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:03:08 +0300

I'm resurrecting this old thread just to put in a shameless note that
I've written a paper how to search effectively in a normalized
application. Jared rather briefly mentioned use of materialized views
in appendix of his paper, but I've described how we used materialized
views for normalized app and what problems we encountered.
It can be found in http://www.gplivna.eu/papers_e.htm, the first article there.

Of course if somebody is eager enough to drop me any comments I'd be
happy to receive them :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

2006/5/5, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 5/4/06, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > I think enough time has passed since Hotsos that I will just > put it on my website. Something to do this evening I guess, > not that there's a shortage of things to do. > >

'Normalize for Performance' can be found at jaredstill.com,
under the 'Articles' heading.

Included PowerPoint, Word doc, scripts used during the
presentation, as well as a DMP file to load the test
schema.

On some of the tests with query rewrite on Materialized
Views, your mileage may vary between versions of Oracle.

What didn't work on 10.2.0.1, does work on 10.2.0.4(?),
depending on how the SQL is written.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist