Re: Normalization

  • From: Robyn <robyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:47:21 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with pro-normalization side and would like to add an additional
comment. When you take the time to normalize the data, you have a much
better understanding of your application and the process it supports.

I always found it much easier to adapt to new requirements when the
underlying model is sound.  If you've got normalized data that accurately
represents your business process, then adding on the additional
functionality that someone is bound to request after your new system rolls
out is much simpler - usually I find the information is already there,
it just needs to be presented in a new way.

On the flip side, I've also participated in a few data reconciliation
projects that might have been avoided if the data model had been sound.

Robyn

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One.
'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. - Linus Torvalds