RE: Normalization

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:00:21 -0400

I disagree with the answer.  I believe that normalization is still the key
for an efficient running database.  With things like snapshots and
materialized views, reducing sql joins is no longer an issue.  And a well
designed datababase supports well designed joins.

But I do agree with your statement that good db design is being ignored.
All you have to do is to look at *any* of the flickin ERP databases that are
being produced today.  They break so many rules it ain't even funny.  My
guess is that the battle between produce/sell it and design it right is
tipped to the sell it side.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional