Re: Non-Sql data extraction (recovery tools)

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:16:00 -0600

One of two things are going on here...
 1. Performing recovery from a unopenable Oracle database, when this is
    the only possible method to extract the data for reload
      * Though it isn't free, DUDE (http://www.ora600.be) is the best
        tool available at the lowest cost
          o if the data is truly of value, then the cost should
            considered in light of the value of the data
          o Extracting data directly from the datafiles for any other
            purpose or reason is foolish
              + Bypassing the consistent-read mechanism built into the
                SQL API of Oracle can yield corrupted data
 2. Hacking into some Oracle datafiles
      * I am not interested in helping someone do this, both for the
        reasons stated above and because it might be irresponsible

Whomever wants to do this should clarify their reasons, I think?

Full disclosure:  I am the US representative for DUDE, which is based in
Belgium.