Re: Non-Sql data extraction (recovery tools)

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:08:13 +0100

Afternoon all,

I can't help with the original problem, getting data out, and apologies,
moderator, if this is seen as blatant advertising or such like, feel
free to delete the posting.

However,

On 15/08/13 20:18, Mark W. Farnham wrote:
> This also seems a good advertisement for RMAN and block level recovery.

RMAN was something I really couldn't get my head around. I started back
with 8i years ago (or was it 8.0?) and it was a nightmare, best avoided.

Each time a new release came out, I'd have another look (or do the new
features course which covered it) and I was still no further forward. I
seemed to have a mental block. I even had a one day RMAN "course"
supplied on-site, by Oracle, and I was no further forward, sadly!

Skip forward to 10g (and 11g is even better) and I actually started to
make progress with it. However, because I'm getting on in years and the
old "Organic SGA" is staring to age stuff out if it's not used every
day, I decided to write up my experiences and findings on my blog.
(http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/) where I keep my "pinned" stuff!

I have an (almost complete) "Beginner's Guide to RMAN" - which
admittedly is based on 11g - at
http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/oracle-resources/ - which people are
free to take advantage of, or ignore as they see fit.

It covers a lot of stuff, probably in too much details, and block
recovery is one of the topics.

I have had quite a few good reports from various readers, and I recently
discovered that Jonathan Lewis has a link to it on his blog
(http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/bits-and-pieces/#more-2730) so I
must be doing something right!

Maybe the OP can take advantage of me and help to avoid this sort of
problem in the future? I know that having gone into it as I have, and
written up and tested everything, I know a lot more than I ever did
about RMAN. I'm certainly not an expert though - still working on that! ;-)

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

--