Re: Non-Sql data extraction (recovery tools)

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:49:54 -0600

DUDE is not about profit, rather about recouping the investment for the
author of DUDE for developing the product.  It is not a profitable
business anyway (think about it!), especially since we try to counsel
people after a data extract so that they don't find themselves in that
situation ever again.  I think the last paid DUDE engagement in the US
was November 2012;  most everything else involves talking people out of
wanting to use DUDE or something like it, as with this thread. Oracle
Support tends to be a good source of DUDE's referrals, by the way.

A big reason the author doesn't make this software into shareware is due
to the risk of people downloading it and using it inappropriately, and
making it open source is definitely out of the question.  So, it is a
very small but important niche.

So no worries, we'll still have drinks together, Mark.