Re: Noarchivelog 11.2.0.1 Restart

  • From: Ed Long <rdhm99a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:17:17 -0800 (PST)

After a bunch more thinking and reading I found something that works.
shutdown immediate;
startup nomount;
restore controlfile from
'C:\oracle11g\flash_recovery_area\orcl\backupset\2010_12_21\O1_MF_NCSNF_TAG20101221T175022_6k2D4NSM_.BKP';
startup mount;
startup open resetlogs;

In short, it appears that I had to specify the location of the backup piece
that contained the controlfile backup even though list backup could see it. It
appears that backup database under most scenarios will backup the control files.
Autobackup did not help.

So now, I need to write a script such that all future restores are point and
shoot as much as I've enjoyed this experience.

Thank you all for the great assistance and kind indulgence.
Edward Long

From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ed Long" <rdhm99a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 5:01 AM

That could be your problem then: RMAN's "restore database" command does not
restore the control file or the SP-file. It's got to be done explicitly.

The existing control file after the RAT "knows" that the database has had
activity after your level 0 backup and RMAN wants to bring the restored
database up to speed. Hence the message that file 1 needs media recovery.

Cheers,
Tony

Ed Long wrote:

Thanks for thinking about the problem.
No, I literally just did restore database.
Ticket open with Oracle, more updates tomorrow (Tuesday).

Edward Long