Re: New policy on Oracle Certifications

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: donald.freeman.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:14:49 +0100

1) I agree that if you don't care about certification, don't do it. If
it doesn't prevent you getting work and you don't see value in it,
ignore it.

2) If you were certified in an old version and don't want to upgrade,
don't. I see no problem with you putting OCP DBA 9i on your CV because
you were. Kind of like me putting PhD Genetic Engineering on mine. I
don't do it any more and I can't remember much about it, but I did do
it...

3) If you put "OCP DBA" on your CV in the hope that you will fool
people into thinking it is a current OCP, when in fact you are only
OCP for 9i, then this is wrong.

I think aging out certifications is a good thing. Red Hat have been
doing this for some time now. According to that article on The
Register, VMware do it too. I think it is good to know if the
certification is recent or not.

What's more, this is not all that terrible a bind. By the time the 11g
OCP is retired it will have been valid for about 7 years. Doing a
certification once every 5-7 years is way less of an issue than the 3
year cycle RH has.

What bothers me more is that the certification exams cost about 3
times the price they did when I started taking them. Apart from Houses
and Petrol, not much else has increased in cost that much... :)

Cheers

Tim...