RE: New dba questions to the former dba?

  • From: "Wells, Bryan" <Bryan.Wells@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'stant_98@xxxxxxxxx'" <stant_98@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:17:34 -0600

Alex...

I myself have just entered into the DBA realm for the first time. However, I
inherited my position containing no documentation of the environment except
what a couple of excellent contractors put together for me.  Not a great
situation to be in for a newbie.

With all due respect to the previous DBA's, I would make sure of the
following:

*         do you have all the documentation?  I hate to be a skeptic but,
there are some who hoard the extremely important stuff, documented
(hopefully), but mostly in their head because they have done it a million
times.  Pick their brain and be the hero for the person who takes your
position someday by documenting what you get out of them verbally.

*         which instances are the corporations Achilles heel

*         Who holds the licensees / when are they up for renewal

*         how to's for what was done for each instance and more importantly
why

*         who are your greatest allies within your group/organization/field
(this list server for sure)

*         who do you support specifically.  Know thy end user

I personally could go on and on due to my situation.  Sounds like you picked
the right job though.  Congratulations!!!!  To quote a previous mentor of
mine "welcome to a little bit of stress"