New SAN : Hitachi or HP

  • From: Luc.Demanche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 20:59:53 +0200

Hi gurus,

We are in the process of buying a new SAN.
Our choice is between the following :
- Hitachi Thunder 9570V
- HP EVA3000

Could you give us some pros and cons regarding these two?
- Oracle related issues?
- General issues?

Hitachi is in the list only because it also supports SGI, and we have a
small application on SGI (only four users of the 120 employees will use it).
HP doesn't support the SGI, but it seems easier to manage.  If we did not
have the SGI our decision would definitely be the HP - we do not have
dedicated staff to manage the SAN so ease-of-use is important.  But is it
worthwhile to choose the more complicated to manage Hitachi simply to
support the SGI application?

I'd appreciate your guidance on this dilema.

Luc
---------
Luc Demanche
AstraZeneca R&D Montreal