New Non-ASM Standby Trying to use ASM during recovery

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:58:26 -0500

Oracle 11.2.0.3 on RH6 x86_64.
We have a database on ASM. We want to migrate to filesystem storage on same
host (Oracle ZFS). Recommended path from Oracle is to create a standby and
then do a failover when ready. Simple enough you'd think.

Standby has all reference to ASM diskgroups removed, and convert parameters
set appropriately. Take a new backup including archivelogs and also a
backup standby controlfile. The "duplicate target database for standby"
performs the restore phase perfectly fine. When the media recovery phase
starts, I see it tries to mount the diskgroup that the primary uses for
ASM. However it fails to do so (plenty of errors to alert log), then
recovery fails and the instance is left in mount mode. Subsequent attempt
to run "recover database" or even "crosscheck archivelog all" run into the
same ASM errors.

The one odd thing I see is the reference to the srvctl resource name for
that diskgroup:

Mon Aug 19 10:41:35 2013
ERROR: failed to establish dependency between database prod_zfs and
diskgroup resource ora.FRA.dg

However I never registered prod_zfs in srvctl, and it still isn't listed
when I run "srvctl config database". Obviously the prod configuration has
the dependency on +FRA, and it is on the same machine. Is srvctl confusing
the two? Perhaps due to same DBID (as is necessary with primary/standby)?

Wondering if any of you have seen this.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us