Re: NetBackup Oracle on Hyper-V

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 21:40:52 -0400

Hi Charlotte,

The answer to your question is very simple: test. If you can clone a VM and restore the database on it to a consistent state, you're in good shape. If not, you will need to backup the VM as a physical box, which means installing NB agent and writing the script to backup your database. If latter is the case, may the force be with you. With NB, that is a lot of work.

Regards

On 08/28/2018 02:22 PM, Charlotte Hammond (Redacted sender charlottejanehammond for DMARC) wrote:

Hello All,

I've been handed an Oracle environment using technologies that I'm unfamiliar with and am looking for guidance on first steps.  These are Oracle 11g/12c databases running on Linux VMs in Hyper-V.

The Hyper-V VMs are backed up using NetBackup which appears to use a temporary Snapshot (Checkpoint) of the entire VM followed by a backup of this snapshot.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant