RE: Negative ramifications of setting CPU_COUNT lower?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:31:19 -0700

I have no experience with changing cpu_count, but I do have a little experience
with running the Oracle database on T-series and I can sum it up in two words:
“Run away!”

While adjusting the cpu_count might allow you to set your sga to the desired
size, I don’t think it’s going to do anything to address the horrible
performance that you will be getting on all cpu-intensive processes such as
large queries/DMLs, batch jobs, updating stats, exp/imp, datapump,
installations, upgrades, etc.

It sounds like you’re already at least somewhat familiar with these known
problems, but you may want to take a look at Metalink 781763.1 if you haven’t
already.  It will at least give you some support in telling your boss and/or
vendor that you want a refund/exchange.  I’d recommend getting an X-series box
running Oracle Linux instead, or if you’re not too tied to Sun, then get a Dell
which was much less expensive for comparable hardware last time I checked.

Regards,
Brandon