Needing to brush up on my internals -- FTS and DB buffer cache

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:09:58 -0500

While surfing Google for HP-UX questions, I ran across an Oracle guru page
that says this:

"Remember, when Oracle performs a full-table scan, the database blocks are
read directly into the program global area (PGA), bypassing the data buffer
RAM."

It's been awhile since I took the Oracle7 DBA courses, but I have it stuck
into my head that FTS data was plopped into the LRU end of the DB buffer
cache's LRU list, instead of the MRU end.

I gave up trying to look through my course material (my suggestion of an
*INDEX* in the student guides apparently wasn't implemented) and MetaLink
showed nothing.  I couldn't find anything directly in the 8i docs, either,
but a reference to the CACHE hint that says it causes FTSs to go to the MRU
end of the buffer cache LRU list, but it doesn't say what happens by default
and I didn't want to assume it was how I remembered it.

So, is my memory just bad (it's not unusual) or what?  Has this changed over
versions?  The article doesn't say what version of Oracle the author was
referring to.

TIA,
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA