Re: Need two databases same name, same cluster, different versions

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:00:59 +0000

On 14/03/16 20:44, Niall Litchfield wrote:

Given that the database name is DEVDB it seems hard to imagine even
creatively idiotic developers thinking that that should be hardcoded

how about this for creativity then, the tnsnames alias, username and password were all hard coded in one application I used to have to maintain. Third party vendor, translated from SQL Server (I think, but don't quote me!) to Oracle pretty much verbatim. We eventually got it changed as we had a regular password change exercise on all databases for our security standards.

Oh, and "you need to grant DBA to the application user account (the hard coded one) to make it work". That requirement went away as well!

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar