RE: Need for primary keys

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:55:21 -0400

Well, if there are no PK constraints defined in the database for 60% of
your tables then there are no FK constraints defined to 60% of your
tables.  This could be a problem or you could just have a huge number of
transition/interface tables used to load or extract data from your
database.  You probably need to look a little closer at what the tables
are used for.

Generally speaking it is good form to define PK constraints on every
table that has a suitable PK candidate.  Tables used only as part of a
load or extract process often have no need for a PK since it will never
be used, but this should be a small percentage of the total.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148