Re: Native compiled code *much* slower??

  • From: Steve Baldwin <stbaldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 19:09:51 +1100

Hi Toon,

Should it matter?  I thought that *everything* was at least as fast
native compiled.  From the Oracle docs ...

"Because native compilation applies only to PL/SQL statements, a
PL/SQL unit that only calls SQL statements might not run faster when
natively compiled, but it does run at least as fast as the
corresponding interpreted code. The compiled code and the interpreted
code make the same library calls, so their action is the same."

I have tried a trivial package and the natively compiled package was
marginally faster than interpreted however the package I'm testing
here is pretty much all PL/SQL code so I expected it to be
significantly faster, not 100x *slower*.

I guess now it's a matter of trying to pull it apart to find out what
is causing the slowdown.

Has anyone seen significant improvement using native compilation?

Thanks,

Steve