Re: Named User License Question

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:10:25 -0700

On 05/02/2013 2:42 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
> I have a question regarding the named user license that I am confused on.  If
> we have a 10 user Standard Edition license is that 10 users for the server or
> is it 10 user per database running on that server?  Or is it worse than that,
> is it 10 user for that one database so if we created a second database on
> that same server does that require another license?
Explained in detail in the Software Investment Guide found at
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/index.html

Basically - only those users whose name is on the license may use it,
and they can access the databases (plural) on the machines.

HOWEVER, there is a minimum number of named users PER CPU Socket (SE) or
Core (EE).  You count the number of Cores or CPU Sockets, multiply by
the minimum, and that is how many Named User Licenses you need to
purchase. You can't get 10 named user licenses and spread them across 1
billion machines.

Named Users: you basically need to keep a list of names, and the license
is theoretically non-transferable between users.

But ... don't take my word for it.  (Won't help you if Oracle audits.)
Read the contract and read the Software Investment Guide.

/Hans