Re: NOT NULL vs NULL column in a fact table

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:02:29 -0500

Yes, I am aware of the hakan factor issue ( I am on 9204 and hit it a few
times before finally getting a solution)

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             tboss@bossconsult
             ing.com
             09/04/2007 07:00          genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                       oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (oracle-l)
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: NOT NULL vs NULL column in a
             tboss@bossconsult         fact table
                  ing.com

Not sure what version you're on, but I ran into a debilitating bug related
exactly this situation in 9i.  I needed to add a column, added it as
suggested
by others (alter table add column, populate, alter column not null).  If
you load
data via alter table exchange partition and have local bitmap indexes (like
I'd
assume you do in a DW environment), you can corrupt something called the
"Hakan Factor"
within oracle's data dictionary.

See Metalink note 248634.1 and bugid 4221789 for the orig documents.  It
says its
fixed in 9208 and in the base of 10g, but we've all seen issues persist
past
major releases.

The thing i'd be worried about in your case is the introduction of random
data
dictionary corruption like the above by adding and dropping columns from
tables.
In the above case, there was some obscure event I could have set before
exchanging
the partitions that would have prevented the issue.

Based on what you say though, you may not have a choice.  But if at all
possible
I'd do a ctas to create a clean table.

my 2 cents, todd