NLS question

  • From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:53:39 -0600

Hi All,

I had a quick question on the NLS configuration that I was hoping someone could
help me out with

Oracle 11.2 database with NLS_CHARACTERSET=US7ASCII and
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16

Developer creates a table with nvarchar2(1000) column and tries to insert a ó
into that column.

Create table my_table(col1 nvarchar2(1000));
Insert into my_table values ('Acadó');

SQL> select * from my_table;
COL1
Acad?

I was thinking this might be a session issue, but was not sure what I should
have their client set NLS_LANG too.  If I set NLS_LANG to
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 in the session I get a different result, but not
exactly the one I am looking for

SQL> select * from my_table;
COL1
Acado