Re: NLS_COMP and NLS_SORT

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: s.saravalli@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:07:53 -0700 (PDT)

Simone

>If I use an alter session statement to set NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP the
>change is conscripted to a single user session. So, exists a way to
>set the two paramethers permanently?

NLS_COMP and NLS_SORT can be set in init.ora as well as in the environment,
according to Oracle9i Database Globalization Support Guide  - 3 Setting Up a
Globalization Support Environment (see eg at
http://www.cs.umb.edu/cs634/ora9idocs/server.920/a96529/ch3.htm#51170)

Or you can use a login trigger to set these at the beginning of every session:

CREATE TRIGGER set_session_nls_params
AFTER LOGON
ON      SCHEMA my_schema.schema  -- or ON DATABASE if you prefer
BEGIN
   DBMS_SESSION.SET_NLS('NLS_COMP', 'ANSI');
   -- etc
END;
/

Regards Nigel