RE: (NEW) very interesting thing about migrate db from different OS(oracle 9.2.0.4,not 10G)

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <CMarquez@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <biti_rainy@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:06:55 -0500

I personal don't have  first hand experience wih this but...
a while back on another list there was a long thread on the very
subject.

Seems it all has mostly to do with  "Little Endian" vs. "Big Endian".
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/big_endian.html

Once of the dba's on the list promised that he regularly moved (copied)=20
his Oracle database on windows x86 (NTFS?) to Red Hat Linux x86 (EXT3?).

I never got the time to try it.

I do remember that several people on the list (smarter than I) explained
clearly that=20
it was NOT the file system type that makes the difference but "Little
Endian" vs. "Big Endian" issue.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA