RE: Multiple databases in a RAC

  • From: "Powell, Mark" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:43:26 +0100

You can definitely run multiple RAC databases on the same servers.

When you have vendor products where only god knows who have DBA privileged
access to the system you want separate database instances for each product.

When you have spare server capacity why not use it rather than spend money
buying more servers?

With a two-node system you probably want to limit your total utilization to
about 40% of a server so in the event of the loss of one server for an extended
period of time you can run everything on the one remaining server with decent
performance while you want on the repair.

From: "daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx>"
<daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:09:29 -0400
To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Multiple databases in a RAC

Oracle 11.2.0.2
AIX 6.1
Peoplesoft HCM + ELM

We have an existing 11.2.0.2 RAC + GRID cluster built to run Peoplesoft HCM.
2 nodes....active/active.

We have been asked to install another Peoplesoft module (ELM).
My recommendation was to construct a 2nd cluster to support the 2nd module and
its database.
So........I would end up with 4 nodes (2 for the HCM cluster and 2 for the ELM
cluster) and these clusters would be distinct.

I am being asked if it is possible to install the new ELM product on the
existing nodes.
That is..........a 2-node RAC cluster with 2 distinct databases and 4 instances.

This is not making much sense to me.....I am not even sure if this is
supported/feasible.

Looking for ideas on this.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks.