Multiple DBs on One RAC - Adding New Nodes and Different Storage

  • From: David Barbour <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:22:59 -0600

Merry Christmas (to those of you who celebrate), Happy Holidays (to those
who may not but have something going on - including New Year's), and Good
Afternoon:

We are currently running a 3-node RAC on RHEL 6.3(version
2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.x86_64), Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 on ASM.  Storage is
fibre-connected EMC VMAX. Cluster cache communication is handled via
Infiband.  We are adding a new application and two nodes.  The question
arises with the storage.  We're putting the new application on a Dell
Compellent SAN.  Also fibre connected.  The plan is to make the 2 new nodes
the primary nodes for this application, and make node 3 of the current
cluster the fail-over.

Can anyone who has used multiple different SANs before provide any
hints/tips/tricks/pitfalls?

Will we have to serve the current EMC Storage to the new nodes?  I don't
see why as we're not expanding the number of instances of the currently
running application.  But we will have to zone the new storage to connect
to the third node of the current cluster.  Any thoughts on how to install
this new application?  I don't really want instances of it on Nodes 1 & 2
at all.  If I make Node 3 the master node and install from there, I should
be able to pick Nodes 4 & 5 on which to create the other new instances.

Any thoughts?