We have two Exadata compute nodes, node1 and node2, the Oracle home on both
nodes is RAC configured, however we are not using RAC, and actually expect
the homes on node1 and node2 to be running different patch levels (and yes
we now realize that this is a problem, and we are going to resolve this
using runInstaller -updateNodeList)
I have the following reproducible test case:
1. Initially node1 has 22652097 (the (in)famous adaptive patch) on top of
2. Initially node2 has July DBBP only.
3. I apply October DBBP to node2, and choose Y when prompted, to also patch
4. opatch lsinventory reveals the adaptive patch has disappeared from node1.
5. I apply the adaptive patch on node2, but chose N when prompted, to not
6. opatch lsinventory reveals the adaptive patch still not on node1.
7. I apply October OJVM patch to node2, and choose Y when prompted, to also
8. opatch lsinventory reveals the adaptive patch has re-appeared on node1
9. Testing reveals that the patch isn't really installed on node1 (no
I kind of understand what is happening (opatch is making assumptions that
the homes are in-sync, whereas in reality they are not).
My question is, whether this is expected or acceptable behavior given our
Ie is this worth raising as a bug, or is it our mistake in having the wrong