Multi-database startup order

  • From: "Herring, David" <HerringD@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:06:52 -0500

Folks,

How do you control the startup order in a RAC configuration with 2 or more
databases per node?  In my example we've got a 6-node RAC (10.2.0.2) on RHEL
with 3 databases.  1 database is on all 6 nodes, 2 others have instances on
just 2 of the nodes.  Unfortunately we're crunched on memory as each server
only has 32GB (22 GB for huge pages) and the SUM of SGAs ranges from 19 GB to
21 GB.  For the multi-database 2 nodes if we don't start the databases in order
by SGA descending then by the time the largest SGA database gets to starting
it's SGA doesn't get set in the huge page pool.  Only by starting them in
large-to-small SGA order will they all fit.

My assumption is the start order is based on the order they were added to CRS,
as "srvctl config nodeapps -n <node>" shows the order they are currently
restarting.  With that being the case is my only option to remove them and
re-add them to change their startup order?  Either that or I change them to not
auto-start and instead have a custom script called on node restart?

Dave Herring