Re: Moving to RAC`

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 18:51:45 -0500

I would need to consult the "lifetime support" policy documents to be
certain that I have it right, but extended support should include roughly:

(*) Access to all existing patches, including but far from limited to the
11.2.0.4 patchset.
(*) New security updates (until about 2018, when you move into "sustaining"
support).
(*) Backports (on request, and maybe with some "convincing") of bugs fixed
in later releases, where this is practical.

There is an "uplift" in support fees for extended support.  Typically,
Oracle has waived this in the first year of extended support for the last
few releases (but there is no assurance they will continue to do so).  The
uplift is not ENORMOUS -- something like 10% of the "current" support fees
for each year you continue extended/sustaining support.  There is a ceiling
on this, if I recall correctly.  PRICING support agreements has never been
my problem, so I would never bother to commit the rules to memory.

For the most part, I would say that most people who could afford their
Oracle Support agreement for 11gR2 last year (while it was still in premier
support) will probably be able to afford extended support this year, and
most likely even next.  Eventually, though, the uplift becomes fairly
noticeable (although I don't think I would characterize it as "crippling"),
and I don't know a lot of people to go around gushing about what an
incredible "bargain" Oracle's support agreements are to begin with.  I
*would* expect the added costs to eventually become a (fairly strong)
motivator for most people to upgrade.

But then, I am not sure how many people actually *pay* the extra support
fees -- or are even aware that they need to.

Oracle, I am sure, would like to see customers upgrade to 12c.  We, as
DBAs, would probably like to see our employers upgrade to 12c.  Most Oracle
customers I have encountered seem to be less than enthusiastic, though.
Perhaps, though, its just the customers that *I* meet.

Anyway, 11g still has a few good years left in it, I think.