Re: Moving self-contained /oracle filesystem to new server question

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 12:35:09 -0400

If the OS version is the same, there should be absolutely no need to
relink. In your case, though, you are changing the kernel version, and
probably the glibc version as well, so a relink should be in order. (This
would not be the case if Oracle binaries were linked statically, but being
linked dynamically, bad things will happen when the system libraries
change.)

You'll find it convenient, I think, if you mount all of the filesystems in
the same locations on the new server, and you'll probably find it even more
convenient if you keep all the (numeric) userids and groupids the same
across servers.

Have a look at the procedures for "cloning" an Oracle_Home. There is a
little work you will need (want) to do in order to properly set up the
Oracle Inventory on the new server. If you don't, you won't be able to
apply patches. On Linux, this amounts to creating a directory or two, and
a small handful of symbolic links, as I recall. You can probably work out
and execute the needed steps yourself in 30 minutes, but there are easier
ways.

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Chris Taylor <
christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We're going to be consolidating some databases on new/existing hardware.

However, the existing Oracle Installs are on Red Hat 5.10, Kernel
2.6.18-371.3.

The new hardware is Red Hat 6.5, kernel 2.6.32-431.29.

The filesystems are self-contained (binaries, datafiles etc) so we plan on
unmounting/remounting the filesystems from the old hardware to the new
hardware.

The Oracle installed versions are mostly 11.2.0.2 or 11.2.0.4 with one
10.2.0.4.

What I'm curious about is any special considerations doing this? For
example, will this require relinking the Oracle binaries? Anything else to
think about?

Thanks,
Chris