RE: Moving db to linux

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:21:43 -0600

I have to question using a non-journaled FS like ext2 on a production box,
unless downtime and loss of data is not a factor.  The time to fsck several
GB after a crash (or even after a simple reboot, depending on FS settings)
can take hours.  And that's provided there isn't a problem with the FS.  If
there is, the most likely avenue of recovery is to go back to tape and roll
forward.  And if you're archived logs were ext2 as well, you may be staring
at yourself in the mirror to see your boss' boot print on your backside.

What FS benchmark site?  Why is it flawed?  Is there a "good" benchmark
site?

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA