RE: Moving datafiles on NetApp

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NoCOUG Jimmy Brock <jimmybrock@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 15:16:22 -0700

That was a trick question wasn't it. So many manuals, so little time. Sigh.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/dfiles008.htm#ADMIN01201You
 do not necessarily have to use the operating system to copy a file within a
database, or transfer a file between databases as you would do when using the
transportable tablespace feature. You can use the DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER package
You would still have to take the files offline, so I see no advantages over the
conventional
methodhttp://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/dfiles005.htm#ADMIN11434
P.S. You don't have to involve the system administrator. You can use regular
cp, scp, or rsync commands to copy the files. However, the system
administrator--strictly speaking, the storage administrator--may be able to
move files faster on the backend in some cases.

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 14:24:50 -0700
Subject: Moving datafiles on NetApp
From: jimmybrock@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Using Oracle 11gR2, not using DNFS.
Currently, all of our data files are stored on the same volume on the NFS
server. I need to move all the application data files to another volume;
separate from the system data files. Can this be done in Oracle? Or do I need
to involve the storage admin to move the files?
I plan on taking backup before we do this, just in case. But I believe I can
rename the files while in mount mode, after we physically move the files on
NetApp.
--
Jimmy Brock