RE: Moving database from HP to IBM-AIX

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:02:46 -0700

> Run the no-rows import. Muck around and disable what you need to so
you can start the big boys loading in parallel

Mark/Sanjay,

One of the "gotchas" with a no-rows import (pre-create objects to save
time) followed by a full data export/import to move data across
platforms is this: The values in Sequences are NOT re-imported when you
re-import the data. So they will remain at the values they were when you
did the first no-data import. This can become vewy, vewy nasty in an ERP
application (need I say 11i) which deals a lot with sequences that
change quite rapidly and is used to mark things like Checks and Invoices
that go out to customers.

The solution is to make sure that sequence number are refreshed / reset
to the correct values at the end *manually*.

From someone who narrowly escaped this "gotcha"

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Fear connects you to the Negative, but Faith connects you to the
Positive! I Jn 4:18