Re: Moving 2-node RAC to AWS

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:01:34 -0500

On 11/18/21 13:59, Sandra Becker wrote:
Current OS:    RHEL6 Oracle version:  11g  (11.2.0.3 and 11.2.0.4)
We have started a project to move our 50 or so on-prem RAC databases to AWS EC2 servers.  Some use ASM, others do not.  (I think the motto of previous DBAs was "consistency is for the weak.".)  We cannot upgrade the databases (or the OS) due to a host of constraints put on us by the applications and stakeholders.  Using FlashGrid also is out of the question since it would be an additional software cost.

I'm looking for good documents to read/follow that would tell us how to set up ASM on the EC2 instances as well as the best method to move the RAC databases.  Has anyone done this that can point me to good documentation?  I also have some non-RAC databases to move.  I was thinking of creating the standby on the EC2 then doing a switchover during a migration window to minimize downtime.  Is this approach feasible?  Would another approach be preferable?
Thank you for any suggestions,

--
Sandy B.

Hi Sandy,

I don't know if anything has recently changed but Oracle doesn't support RAC in the AWS cloud:

https://houseofbrick.com/oracle-licensing-question/

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant