Re: More than one archivelog disk

  • From: "goran bogdanovic" <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:35:44 +0100

Hi,

Check note: *45042.1

*

You may be able to achieve this by creating several archive destinations
or having one large archive destination.  For example, lets assume you have
several archive destinations. Archiver is writing to archive DEST 1.  When
DEST 1 fills up to a certain threshold, say 80% (enough room for two more
archive files), you can switch the archive destination by issuing the
command, 'alter system archive log to 'DEST2'.  Archiver will then archive
the NEXT log in the new destination.

Tape backups can occur in DEST1 while archiver is writing to DEST2.  This
reduces IO contention for those disks.  Furthermore, depending on the size of
the destination, you can optimally keep a large number of archives on disk.
Before switching back to DEST1, we can purge the archives in DEST 1 that
has been successfully backed up to tape.

HTH,
Goran

On 11/16/06, Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      This is 10G v2.

This is a tad different than normal.

Is it possible to have more than one archivelog disk AND fill the one,
THEN fill the other, and yet RMAN knows exactly what is going on?

In other words, not looking for duplicates, but to sort of "merge"
multiple disks together.

Eventually I'll get everyone NOT sharing the archivelogs with the
datafiles and then losing track and the archive disk fills because it's now
80GB less than it used to be.

I'm trying to push everything to have only one archivelog disk and not
shared with "other" stuff.

But if I could have 2 disks and work it pretty much the same way, that may
be okay. Like 2 100GB disks instead of a 200Gb, etc.

I've asked around, and it seems this was mostly a wish list item.

Michael Kline
Database Administration
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
Mail Code TOC-7505

1030 Wilmer Avenue
Richmond, Va.  23227
Tel: 804.261.9446  Net: 643.9446

Cell: 804.744.1545
michael.kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx

*Seeing beyond Money*(sm)

 LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this
email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]