RE: More spfile goodness

  • From: "Delmolino, Dominic" <ddelmolino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:49:30 -0400

My First Post, so newbie apologies in advance :-)

We considered, and discarded, the idea of moving to full use of spfiles
during our upgrade from 8i to 9i using the following reasoning:

Pros

- SPFILEs can be modified without the need to log into the server O/S
- Online parameter changes could be captured for the next db restart

Cons

- We version control our init.ora files and the diff capability is
useful
- The ability to look at the parameter values prior to instance start is

  useful
- You need permission to log into the server O/S in order to modify the=20
  initialization parameters (security)

The Cons were pretty important to us and the Pros seemed to have both
security issues (we don't want any DBA to be able to modify the file,
we want the added O/S security) and unintential consequence issues=20
(Change this parameter for this run -- don't fat-finger SCOPE=3DBOTH
by accident).  Since the old format was still supported, we stayed with
it.
(We did take the opportunity to thoroughly scrub the old files and ditch

parameters for which we should have been using Oracle's defaults
instead).

I'm guessing that the reason a binary file was chosen was because the
developer used some weird internal object to represent the parameters=20
(heck, it's probably a Java-serialized-object :-) and sold his/her
management that it was necessary in order to achieve the Pros as listed
above :-)  ("Don't want those pesky DBA's messing up the file format").

Dominic Delmolino
Sr. Development Manager, Database Services
ddelmolino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
703.668.4694 Office
703.668.7810 Office Fax

Mailstop WV-9-1