More fun with Oracle Management Pack licensing

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:07:57 -0700

In another example of just how annoying Oracle's Management Pack licensing can
be, I'm currently working on an SR where my support rep instructed me to run
SQLTXPLAIN.  I told him I was concerned that we may not be able to legally run
sqltxplain since this is a standard edition database, which means we can't
license the management packs even if we wanted to and there was some mention of
the SQL Tuning Advisor (which requires a Tuning Pack license) in the sqltxplain
docs.

He quickly assured me that sqltxplain does not require a license.  I read
through the documentation for sqltxplain on my own and found that, sure enough,
it does indeed call dbms_sqltune by default, and therefore it clearly requires
a Tuning Pack license for a default execution.  It even states this explicitly
in section 4.2 of the included instructions.txt file.  Luckily, they were kind
enough to build in a skip_tuning_advisor parameter that enables you to disable
the call to dbms_sqltune so you can run sqltxplain and still remain in
compliance with your license agreement.

Regards,
Brandon