Re: Monitoring the alert log ...

  • From: "Queen Roo Roo" <ruth.gramolini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:31:41 -0400

If you have EE you can use the Alert Log event to let you know when errors
are found in the alert log. There is also a free tool from Zymurgy to check
you alert logs.  If you are interested I can try to find the info.

I have a job that compresses the alert_sid.log when it get to 30M,  This
will cause Oracle to open a new one and you can archive or delete the
compressed file.

HTH,
Ruth

On 9/10/06, Reverend Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/09/06, stv <stvsmth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Howdy, > > I'm a newish DBA and I wanna simplify some daily checks. I'm curious > as to how other people monitor the alert logs. Is this something most > folks do?

I do, but from a 'belts and braces'paradigm.  Anything important (i.e.
that impacts the users) I would expect to pick up when it happens
(either through a user problem report or another monitoring tool),
checking the alert log is just a backstop to pickup anything error
messages that didn't impact the users noticably so I can decide if
it's something I need to deal with now, something I can deal with when
I have time or something I need to note but not worry about unless it
happens again soon.

> Also, what do other folks do about cycling the alert_SID.log? Is there
> a size you aim for? Date range?

Typically I go for archiving off the alert log (i.e. move the current
log to alert_SID.TIMESTAMP.log then touch lert_SID.log) at the end of
the nightly backup (actually just Monday to Friday for most systems as
they don't see much use over the weekend) then check the archived
copy.

i have another script that runs after backup that compresses any files
over 20 days old (based on last accessed) and deletes any over 40 that
runs against bdump, udump and a few other log destinations (logs from
the backup jobs, applications, monitoring scripts &c).

Each day I (and the ops email address) get an email either saying
"Nothing wrong" or listing the potential errors found.  The reason for
sending a mail even if there isn't a problem is that if the mail
doesn't arrive then I know that either the script didn't run or it did
but the message got lost/blocked somehow.  Either way I want to know
and look into it.

We're currently looking into some sort of console/dashboard for
close-to-real-time monitoring.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/

'nohup cd /; rm -rf * > /dev/null 2>&1 &'

There's a strong arguement for the belief that running a command
without first knowing what it does is 'Darwin in action'.
--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

--
Ruth Gramolini