Re: Monitor contention

  • From: "Ethan Post" <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Greg Rahn" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:26:57 -0500

This is a case of me being as clear as mud. I mean we set a flag in the
application that turn off inserts to the logging table.

On 5/15/07, Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think this may be a case of correlation without causation.  Changing
an index from logging to nologging would have no affect on conventional
inserts.

To quote the documentation:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tables.htm#sthref2199
<quote>
The NOLOGGING clause also specifies that subsequent direct loads using
SQL*Loader and direct load INSERT operations are not logged. Subsequent
DML statements (UPDATE, DELETE, and conventional path insert) are
unaffected by the NOLOGGING attribute of the table and generate redo.
</quote>

Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org