Re: Modify IniTrans on composite interval-hash partitioned table, due to ora-00060

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sandro.gallo.81@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 20:45:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi Sandro,

> Do you think that is correct to solve this problem by increasing the value of
> INITRANS?

The deadlock graph (trace file) answers this question. An ORA-00060 error can
have several reasons and the amount of ITL slots is just one
possibility. For example bitmap indexes can be another common reason (as you
mentioned that this is a DWH).

> If yes, how to calculate the optimal value?

The amount of individual and parallel (DML) sessions per block, if it is really
caused by insufficient available ITL slots. We need to know how the
DataStage processes perform the update and how the data itself looks like (per
block) to provide you a well-founded answer.

> And, what are the necessary steps so that all partitions and subpartitions
> have the new value?

(Online) reorganization of the corresponding objects, if this is caused by
insufficient available ITL slots.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK