Re: Migration to Postgres training

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 13:07:36 -0400

On 8/8/19 10:46 AM, Bill Ferguson wrote:

My organization is trying to push Postgres as well, but running some basic numbers, it wouldn't save my organization any money, just transfer the costs to a different account.

It also doesn't even address the added costs of migrating every single Apex application into a whole new environment, with entirely new code. With any luck I'll be retiring next year and my tax dollars can either spent on keeping things working, or taking them all offline for several years while they get rewritten in something harder to maintain, and just as expensive to run.

Bill Ferguson

That is the reason why I really don't like Apex: it's a vendor lock-in. If you use Zend, Django, Symfony or any number of other MVC frameworks, your application development will be slightly harder but adjusting to another variety of relational database will be a breeze. Of course, real programmers use DBD::Oracle and CGI.

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l