RE: Migration from SQL Server to Oracle database

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <krishna.setwin@xxxxxxxxx>, <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:58:21 -0500

You might consider Expert Oracle Database Architecture by Thomas Kyte.   Not
sure if he has an 11g version out yet, but he clearly explains differences such
that the databases don't just 'switch' databases ---   or rather you 'can' move
the data, but the applications need a lot of attention.

For instance, the locking mechanisms operate differently.  Essentially you want
to take advantage of the database housing the data -- otherwise one might be
surprised to hear that it is not running 'faster'.   The reason would be that
one is trying sql server stuff on the oracle DB.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546