Re: Migrating to a new SAN storage

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 21:39:55 +0200

Or do it in one step:

alter diskgroup <diskgroup name>
add disk '<new device physical name 1>', .., '<new device physical name N>'
rebalance power <#>;

Check "Exact Steps To Migrate ASM Diskgroups To Another SAN/Disk-Array/DAS/etc Without Downtime." (Doc ID 837308.1).

Note sure why the note doesn't mention 12c:
Applies to: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.4 [Release 10.2 to 11.2]

Regards
Dimitre

On 17/07/2014 21:17, Maaz Anjum wrote:
Ali,

If you have an environment where you can test the steps beforehand, please do so.

  * Provision new devices to the OS.
  * Create new ASM disks via asmlib (same size as the existing disks).
  * Add the newly created ASM Disks to the relevant diskgroups.
  * Once the rebalance is complete, remove the older USP disks from
    the relevant diskgroups - wait for rebalance to complete.
  * The next step is tedious, you (or your linux admin) will have to
    carefully identify the USP devices.
  * Remove the USP devices from each host.

Pray that there's isn't a mix-up with the last step :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Maaz

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Ali Alizadeh <rali.alizadeh@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rali.alizadeh@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello experts,
    I have 2 nodes RAC running on Linux RedHat (2.6.18-274.18.1.e15)
    servers. My cluster has been upgraded to 12c. we are using ASM
    (asmlib). They are planning to migrate the SAN storage from
    USP1100 to HUS150. They will upgrade all FSs including oracle
    binary from the OS level.
    My question is: what will be the best approach to migrate the ASM
    (asm disk groups) to the new SAN?

    Appreciate your time.

    Ali

--