Re: Migrating to ASM on new hardware via RMAN

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:59:57 -0600

Well this other section of the same Oracle book pretty much provides
an example of what I hope to do:

"RMAN DUPLICATE DATABASE From File System to ASM: Example"
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb006.htm#sthref1306

On 2/23/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Slightly related to my previous post, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

To recap, I'm migrating my 10g (10.2.0.2) instance from a 32-bit
machine to a shiny new 64-bit monster, obviously doing this on test
instances first.  We currently use non-ASM storage on linux
filesystems.  As part of the migration, we wanted to make the change
to ASM.  I had been reading an Oracle HOWTO [1] but it seems to
address migrating from non-ASM to ASM on the same instance on the same
box.

I'm wondering if it is feasible to use RMAN to duplicate the current
production instance onto my 64-bit machine using the DUPLICATE
DATABASE command, and using db_file_name_convert and
log_file_name_convert to specify the ASM disk group as the new
destination.

My alternative method is to create a brand new 64-bit instance and use
datapump to move the application schemas over.  I'd still have to
create all of the users/roles though and set privileges again, but I
have some scripts to create those statements (from previous HP-UX ->
Linux migration).

[1]
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmasm.htm#i1016581

--