Re: Migrating database from Windows to Linux

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: justin@xxxxxxx, JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 23:08:01 -0700

Jeff,

Please consider first measuring the throughput between the servers using the iPerf3 <https://iperf.fr/> package. Doing so should provide the maximum bandwidth to be expected on that particular network segment, and if it is possible to improve that bandwidth somehow, iPerf is a good way to measure.

Also, please consider using the bbcp <https://www.slac.stanford.edu/%7Eabh/bbcp/> package, pretty much the fastest and most full-featured method of copying files over TCP.

Hope this helps!

-Tim

On 3/2/17 22:00, Justin Mungal wrote:

It would be interesting to see how fast SCP is between your Linux servers, and then comparing that speed with transfers from Windows to Linux with an SCP client (assuming all else is equal). SCP between Linux servers has always seemed fast to me, while using WinSCP has always seemed slow. I've never had to migrate large files with WinSCP so I've never put much thought into it. But if SCP between Linux servers is much faster then you at least know that the issue is not the SCP protocol itself (although a client may be using a version that may have something to do with the issue). I agree with Hans; you should give other clients a shot.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Beckstrom Jeffrey <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    We are copying our database files and have noticed some strange
    results.

    Copying from Windows to a Linux server using putty (pscp) is
    orders of magnitude slower than copying to a samba drive and then
    moving the files to the Linux server. Can someone suggest places
    to look as to why copying directly to the Linux server is so much
    slower?

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Lead Database Administrator
    Information Technology Department
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113