Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:46:58 -0500

On 12/11/2015 04:20 PM, Deepak Sharma (Redacted sender sharmakdeep_oracle for DMARC) wrote:

We have a 11.2.0.4 DB on AIX and want to move it to HP Intel Redhat Linux.

The new Linux server also has a new storage.

Currently we use RMAN Image Copy backups on the AIX server, do incrementals every day and then merge those incrementals with the previous Image, thereby moving the Image Copy current.

Question: Can we move the RMAN Image copy backup to the Linux server, and convert it (endian conversion) using some RMAN command?

What I understand is that the RMAN "CONVERT TABLESPACE" on source (AIX) and "CONVERT DATAFILE" on target (Linux), are the standard method, but would require downtime on the source system (AIX).

I was wondering if the RMAN Image copy could somehow be used (as described above), so we can still have the production system on AIX up and running.

-thanks

How much data is there to migrate? There are several methods to choose from:

1. Transportable tablespaces. This method requires the source
tablespaces to be put into the read only state.
2. Replication, usually GG, but there are others. SymmetricDS is a
popular open source solution, but not as robust as GG. Attunity is
another commercial product that I've encountered, but I have never
played with it, so I can't say anything about it.
3. Export/import

Depending on your downtime requirements and the amount of data to transfer, you can chose any of those methods. Transportable tablespaces are the fastest method, which requires the most downtime. Replication is the slowest of the 3 but doesn't require any downtime. Export/import in "data pump" version are quite fast, and if you have an appropriate downtime, can be rather convenient.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA