RE: Migrate from AIX to Linux

  • From: "Dimensional DBA" <dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 02:36:05 -0800

I must apologize for the brevity of my previous answer causing your
misunderstanding of my recommendation. Let me rephrase.

I believe we as DBA/DBE should stop worrying about CIO/DIO and the choices
different components of Oracle will make in the background and move off of file
systems into ASM whether you are on Linux or AIX.

We were able to achieve much better performance and resource utilization on AIX
with ASM than with JFS2 with CIO while I worked at Costco on OLTP and DW
systems. (Both from a benchmark and real world system usage perspective.)

Also, if you are already utilizing ASM in other parts of your environment then
it makes your whole system homogenous by converting the *NIX’s too.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

425-891-7934 (cell)

<mailto:Dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx> Dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx